Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can taxes be filed for the first time for the years of 2008

thru 2012 today? Does IRS...
Can taxes be filed for the first time for the years of 2008 thru 2012 today? Does IRS respond in writing when a return is received and accepted or not and why it wouldn't be accepted if it wasn't?
9/18/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.

Robin D. :

Can taxes be filed for the first time for the years of 2008 thru 2012 today?

Yes those returns could be filed even though they are past due.

Robin D. :

Does IRS respond in writing when a return is received and accepted or not

No but a taxpayer could check on the returns bu calling the IRS.

Robin D. :

why it wouldn't be accepted if it wasn't?

The problem is not that the returns are not accepted but if there are refunds due they will not be paid if the return is filed more than 3 years after the due date of the return. So the 2008 return was due April 15 2009, that means that if a refund is calculated it would not be paid if filed after April 15th 2012

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

Customer:

Thank you for the response. The Tax Preparer was never clear about the return filed. 2009 was filed in May of 2012 and it was explained by the Tax Preparer that it had exceeded limitations set by the IRS. I could not find any information with IRS whether the form was received or not much less getting my refund.

Robin D. :

The limitations were the time to get the refund.

Robin D. :

You are most welcome.

Robin D. :

DId you need any further clarification?

Customer:

I understand 2008, but why wouldn't I be able to find a status of the 2009 return?

Robin D. :

You would need to contact the IRS and request a transcript of your account/

Robin D. :

It will show the filing on the transcript

Robin D. :

That would be your verification

Robin D. :

You can call them if you would like

Customer:

Thank you. I will try again.

Robin D. :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Robin D. :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.
You will find the request feature when you come back under your MY QUESTIONS section.

Customer:

I sure will. Thank you.

Robin D. :

Best wishes

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4