Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Married, elderly couple staying at the same facility. She is

Married, elderly couple staying at the same facility. She is an Alzheimer's unit he is in assisted living. Costs are being paid from their own funds. The amounts for each person is broken out. Is this completely deductible as a medical expense or part of it. If partial, which one qualifies?

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
Her amounts are deductible in full as it is for the condition specified. His would be allowed for any amounts that are for personal care services must be provided pursuant to a plan of care prescribed by a licensed health care practitioner.

Robin D. :

So in short all of her costs but only the portions of his that relate to medical care. Many assisted living facilities itemize these out.

Robin D. :

Please remember that the medical costs are shown on Schedule A when itemizing and subject to the limitation af % Adjusted Gross Income.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

Robin D. :

Did you need clarification on the above?