Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Suppose I sell my house for $4million. It has a cost basis

Suppose I sell my house for $4million.
It has a cost basis of $2million.
So I pay about $800,000 in taxes.
However if I put the $2million into the purchase of another house,
that is, I pay cash for a $2 million house, do I eliminate the capital gains?
Thank you

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.

Robin D. :

Unfortunately, selling your own and then reinvesting the money into another home does not offer relief from capital gains tax.

Robin D. :

If you lived in the home and owned it for 2 out of the last 5 years prior to selling, you are allowed to exclude up to $250,000 of gain if single and $500,000 if married filing jointly.

Robin D. :

That first $250,000 or $500,000 would not be taxable but you would need to apply tax and capital gain tax to the remaining portion of the gain on the sale.

Robin D. :

The old rules allowed for carrying forward your gain and applying it to the new home basis but those rules are obsolete.

Robin D. :

If this were not your home (investment property or rental use property) and you wanted to sale it and defer gain you could look at a 1031 exchange. You would want to make sure to follow the 1031 rules exactly which prohibit your receiving the money and making the purchase yourself.

Robin D. :

Your question was moved to the tax category so a tax expert could answer for you.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

Customer:

Did not get any answer

Robin D. :

I will switch to Q&A

Robin D. :

You should be able to see the post but here is a copy

Robin D. :

id="JA_chatMessage_1" class="JA_chatMessage JA_persAActive">

6:44 PM

6:45 PM

6:46 PM

6:47 PM

6:49 PM

6:49 PM

6:49 PM

Robin D. :

Please advise if you can see the above now.

Robin D. :

I will switch to Q&A now so you can see

Hopefully you will be able to see the posted answer now. If not here is a copy:
6:44 PM
6:45 PM
6:46 PM
6:47 PM
6:49 PM
6:49 PM
6:49 PM