Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If I work in Puerto Rico remotely for a company that has offices

Customer Question
in California, Colorado, Georgia, Indiana...
If I work in Puerto Rico remotely for a company that has offices in California, Colorado, Georgia, Indiana, Connecticut, New York, Nevada, Wisconsin, St Louis what taxes do I have to pay. I will be working 100% from Puerto Rico from my home and the company does not have offices in Puerto Rico. I will not have any residency in any of this cities just Puerto Rico. Thanks Francisco
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Tax
9/14/2013
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Lev :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Lev :

Your state income tax liability is based on both - your residency and your workplace location.
The location of your employer and where they have offices are irrelevant.
If you are a resident of Puerto Rico - you are responsible for Puerto Rico income tax based on your residency.
If you are working as independent contractor - your workplace is where you physically provide services.
If you are working for the US company as an employee - the company should determine in which state your workplace is located and should register in this state. For instance - if your workplace is in Puerto Rico - your employer should register with Departamento del Trabajo y Recursos Humanos (DTRH) and pay unemployment taxes.
However if your employer provides the workplace in a different location - for instance in California - your wages are subject of California income taxes.
If your employer allows you to work remotely for your convenience - that doesn't change the location of your workplace for income tax purposes - and your personal income tax liability is based on the location of your workplace. Thus - if you are not sure - you need to contact your employer and verify.
When you receive a paycheck stub - it should indicate if your wages are subject of income tax for any specific state - and such taxes should be withheld.
In case your wages are subject of income taxes in several states - you will be able to claim a credit in your resident state - thus effectively will avoid double taxation of the same income.

Just in case you were not able to use the chat - I am switching to Q&A mode and posting the answer below.
Please feel free to communicate if you need any clarification or have other tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor