Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Gain on sale of fixed assets, i.e. Machinery: Cost 500; Accum

Depr 200, Tax Basis 300...
Gain on sale of fixed assets, i.e. Machinery: Cost 500; Accum Depr 200, Tax Basis 300. Sold for 500. Tax gain = 200. Questions:
1. What type of gain? Ordinary or capital?
2. Can we defer the gain?
3. Any depreciation recapture?
9/13/2013
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
A gain on the disposition of section 1245 property is treated as ordinary income to the extent of depreciation allowed or allowable on the property.
Any gain recognized that is more than the part that is ordinary income from depreciation is a section 1231 gain.

It is taxed as ordinary income - because your Accumulated Depreciation is equal to the gain. If for instance, your gain were more than the accumulated depreciation amount - the difference would be a capital gain.

2. Can we defer the gain?
Yes - if the sale is structures as a section 1031 transaction and another like-kind asset is purchased - for instance another Machinery.

3. Any depreciation recapture?
Yes - the full gain will be attributed to the depreciation recapture.

Let me know if you need any help.
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor