Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

The IRS is asking me to prove that the spousal support I paid

actually went to my ex...
The IRS is asking me to prove that the spousal support I paid actually went to my ex wife even though she claimed it as income. I sent it to her bank account directly from my work and I gave them a print out showing the account number it went to. Now they want me to prove that it is her account number. The bank won't help and she probaly won't cooperate but I do have a cancelled check from her with her name and account number on it.
Will they accept that as proof?
9/13/2013
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Lev :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
The IRS has to accept any documentary proof for your statements. If you provide copies of cancelled checks with your ex-spouse signature - that are a perfect supporting documents.
We may not say for sure if the IRS finds these documents adequate to support your statement that this bank account actually belongs to your ex-spouse.
I suggest to contact the bank directly via certified mail and attach a copy of the IRS request - asking them to respond directly to the IRS.
If the IRS finds your supporting documents not adequate - you will provide a copy of your communication with the bank.
Most likely the bank will ask that the IRS would contact then directly - and you will forward a copy of that letter to the IRS. Thus - if they still have doubts - they have capacity to verify that.

Customer:

Thank you!

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor