Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I regularly pay estimated taxes for my wifes business. In

I regularly pay estimated taxes...
I regularly pay estimated taxes for my wife's business. In addition, I recently sold some long term stock incurring a sizable long term capital gain. Am I required to pay the 15% on the entire gain in the quarter that I sold the stock (to avoid penalties), or can I spread the amount owed among the remainder of the quarterly payments (2)?
The question applies both to Federal and to NJ state tax.

Thanks.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/10/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

Typically when you file estimated tax return, you pay for the tax on the gain in the year of the actual gain

Customer:

So does the 15% on the amount just get added to the amount of tax I estimate I will owe for the year, and I can spread that across the remaining quarters?

Customer:

(which in this case is 2, Sep 15 and Jan 15)

Megan C :

Yes, the 15% adds for the year, but you pay the 15% in the quarter of the sale

Megan C :

you don't spread it

Customer:

Is it the same for the state of New Jersey? 1 payment of the tax added from the sale in the quarter that I sold?

Megan C :

That is correct

Megan C :

Federal and state are the same

Customer:

1 more extension - I know it would be easy and great to have the same quarterly payment each quarter

Customer:

but my wife's income is variable (self employed), so I end up changing the estimate of how much she will make, and therefore how much we pay each quarter.

Customer:

This is okay, right?

Megan C :

That is perfectly fine

Megan C :

that's why it's called "estimated' tax payments

Customer:

Excellent. You have answered my question.

Customer:

Thank you !

Megan C :

You're welcome. If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

I was just making sure, since the form they provide always assume equal payments..

Thanks for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.