How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3797
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello! I am a husband and a half years in Clearwater on L1

This answer was rated:

hello! I am a husband and a half years in Clearwater on L1 visa. Daughter is 10 years old. She drove with us and goes to school Clearwater. We pay monthly for the school and a half years. We want to deduct from our income these amounts to pay for school. We were told that we can not, because the child has no security and no soushel taxes ID. Soushel can not get a visa for her A2. Where to get a taxi ID, in order to fit it into a tax return?

Lev :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
If your daughter is not eligible for SSN - you may apply for ITIN with the IRS.

Lev :

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. It is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a range of 70-88 in the fourth and fifth digit.
IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).
ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have a U.S. filing or reporting requirement under the Internal Revenue Code.
Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN, unless they meet an exception.
Use the latest revision of Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to apply. Attach a valid federal income tax return, unless you qualify for an exception, and include your original proof of identity or copies certified by issuing agency and foreign status documents.
Because you are filing your tax return as an attachment to your ITIN application, you should not mail your return to the address listed in the Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ instructions. Instead, send your return, Form W-7 and proof of identity and foreign status documents to:
Internal Revenue Service Austin Service Center ITIN Operation P.O. Box 149342 Austin, TXNNN-NN-NNNN/span>

Lev :

Where can you get help with your ITIN application? You can call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040 if you are in the United States. If you are outside the United States, call(NNN) NNN-NNNN(not a toll-free number) for information and help in completing your Form W-7 and your tax return or to check on the status of your application six weeks after submitting Form W-7.
What documents are acceptable as proof of identity and foreign status? IRS streamlined the number of documents the agency accepts as proof of identity and foreign status to obtain an ITIN. There are 13 acceptable documents. Each document must be current and contain an expiration date. IRS will accept documents issued within 12 months of the application if no expiration date is normally available. Documents must also show your name and photograph, and support your claim of foreign status. Below is the list of the only acceptable documents:

•Passport (stand alone document)
•National identification card (must show photo, name, current address, date of birth, and expiration date)
•U.S. driver's license
•Civil birth certificate (required for dependents under 18 years of age)
•Foreign driver's license
•U.S. state identification card
•Foreign voter's registration card
•U.S. military identification card
•Foreign military identification card
•U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo identification
Medical records (dependents only - under 6, under 18 if a student)
•School records (dependents only - under 14, under 18 if a student)

Lev :

This IRS publication will be helpful -
Let me know if you need any clarifications or help with other tax related issues.

A different expert here - Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.


While the above expert is correct as it pertains to an ITIN for general tax purposes, private elementary schooling/tuition is NOT deductible under any circumstances. Therefore, you cannot deduct the amount you pay for your 10 year old daughter's tuition.


Please let me know if you require further assistance.


Thank you and best regards,


Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3797
Experience: 20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Barbara and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Barbara. That's your answer is a qualified answer to my question. Why send the request and documents if it does not solve the issue of tuition fees deduction when filing taxes.

You would be sending the documents specifically for the purpose of obtaining the ITIN for general tax purposes, i.e., to claim your daughter as a dependent on your tax return, which will reduce your taxable income. Since your initial question was specifically about deducting the private elementary schooling/tuition for your daughter, I wanted to clarify that the tuition is not deductible. However, it would benefit you to obtain an ITIN for your daughter.


Please come back to me here if you have any follow-up questions, and I will be happy to assist you.


Best regards,