Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

i owe IRS taxes for 2001, they take money out of my ssi check every month.how do i know wh

at the assessed date was...
i owe IRS taxes for 2001, they take money out of my ssi check every month.how do i know wh at the assessed date was. my understanding is they can only collect for 10yrs from assessed date
9/10/2013
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Lev :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
You are correct - the law limits the IRS - and sets the statute of limitation on collection which is generally ten years.
To verify the assessment date - you need to contact the IRS. You should have an assessment letter - but if you are not able to locate it - the only way to verify - contacting the IRS.
The simple way - is to call _1_800_829_1040_ - please be prepared to wait.

Lev :

See the law section here - http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/6502
26 USC § 6502 - Collection after assessment
(a) Length of period
Where the assessment of any tax imposed by this title has been made within the period of limitation properly applicable thereto, such tax may be collected by levy or by a proceeding in court, but only if the levy is made or the proceeding begun—

(1)within 10 years after the assessment of the tax, or
(2)if—
(A)there is an installment agreement between the taxpayer and the Secretary, prior to the date which is 90 days after the expiration of any period for collection agreed upon in writing by the Secretary and the taxpayer at the time the installment agreement was entered into; or

(B)there is a release of levy under section 6343 after such 10-year period, prior to the expiration of any period for collection agreed upon in writing by the Secretary and the taxpayer before such release.
If a timely proceeding in court for the collection of a tax is commenced, the period during which such tax may be collected by levy shall be extended and shall not expire until the liability for the tax (or a judgment against the taxpayer arising from such liability) is satisfied or becomes unenforceable.

Customer:

if it is CLOSE to 10 years will this get them to step up amount collected each month?

Lev :

The law allows to levy on social security benefits - but not more than 15%.

Customer:

could they take my car thats my only property

Lev :

Please be aware - if you're more comfortable talking with someone face-to-face - you may visit your local IRS office - appointment is necessary.
Here are locations in your state - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-My-Local-Office-in-Minnesota

Customer:

thank you

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
could they take my car that's my only property?

The law allows the IRS to garnish your property to satisfy the tax debt.
But unless that is a luxury or expensive car - I doubt they will do that. They may however register a lien on your car - so you would not be able to sell it. But it is very unlikely that the car will be taken away.
Please be sure to contact me for all your tax related issues.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor