How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is a tax related question. I formed an 2 member LLC

This answer was rated:

This is a tax related question.

I formed an 2 member LLC (partnership based) with my wife this year.
Since it's a flow through entity, is it mandatory to file a partnership return for the LLC?
If I open a brokerage account for this LLC and transfer my stocks from a joint account how would the cost basis be calculated? Can I carry over from my old account?
Thanks for using! I will do my best to provide you with a clear and concise answer to your tax question based on the information that you have provided.

You will need to file form 1065 for this entity each year since you have organized it as a LLC. The schedule K-1s from form 1065 will be the information the IRS uses to match the LLC income to your form 1040.

If you transfer your stock under the LLC, the cost basis on your stock will remain the same as if you retained the basis under your own name. Any capital losses carryover that you currently have will continue to be carried over. I don't believe there would be anything that could prevent you from carrying your personally owned stock to your LLC, but you may want to inquire with your broker to be sure.

If there are other questions, please reply to this answer so that I may assist you further. If this answers your question, please rate my performance between OK and Excellent service so that I may receive credit for my work. Thanks for your business.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the answer. When I formed the LLC I was told it's not required to file tax returns for LLC since it's a flow through entity. Apparently this is not correct.

I wanted to avoid forming an LLC just for this reason - need to file tax returns.

For this year, if I don't have any activity in the LLC, do I still need to file a tax return?


My broker has no problems transferring the stocks in our joint account to the LLC account.

If this is the first year, I would not bother filing if there is no activity. The IRS most likely will not look for a return for the LLC this year unless someone issues a 1099 in the name of the LLC. If the IRS does write you to request the return, there are safe harbors that would protect you from penalties.

Let me know if this helps.
Phillip B, EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you