Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Im trying to pay the irs I received a letter that said I had

I'm trying to pay the...
I'm trying to pay the irs I received a letter that said I had 30 days before garnishment or levy but I can't get the irs to call back so I can pay I only have 8 days left what do
9/8/2013
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer

Anne :

HI

Anne :

Thank you for using justanswer,

Anne :

There should be an address on the letter.........send a copy of the letter to that address, along with a check or money order with your SS# XXXXX a note stating per IRS letter, attached.

Anne :

I truly hope this information is helpful but please do not rate until you are satisfied. If you want to click on 1 or 2 just click on the continue to work with me button instead. You will then be able to add any other info or respond to what I have posted so far. Rating 3-5 gives me credit and a good rating but you can still converse with me.

Customer: I need to know if I can get an OIC but if I can't get anyone to respond because the agent won't answer the phone
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Welcome to the site. Your original Expert is offline. I'm PDtax, and can assist with your Offer in Compromise question.

The OIC process is involved, and requires submitting a detailed financial disclosure and negotiating with an IRS representative. It's unlikely you can set this up over the phone.

If you need time to review your options, and IRS isn't responding to phone calls, I suggest hiring a tax professional to assist. They can contact IRS directly, and likely head off more aggressive collection efforts while you decide how best to resolve your IRS tax debt.

The mere hiring of a tax pro will tell IRS that you want to address the matter, and very likely will give you time to act.

If you don't have funds to hire a tax pro, but you still want time to act, I can suggest completing and filing form 911, application for Taxpayer Assistance Order, with the Taxpayer Advocate's Office (TAO) of IRS. Since you have tried to contact IRS and can't get help through normal channels, the TAO is required to review your case and assist. I have found them to be very effective at getting things done, from improving communication with IRS collection personnel to assistance with negotiations.

The form and filing instructions can be found at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f911.pdf. Again, i believe you qualify for assistance because you could not resolve your case through normal channels, and you are being threatened with enforced collection.

Good luck with your case. Since more than one Expert has assisted, please direct any follow up to the Expert of your choice by name. I'm PDtax.

Anne
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer