How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3362
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to re-do my W-4. I got a new job this year and I think

Customer Question

I want to re-do my W-4. I got a new job this year and I think too much is being withheld. I would like to know exactly how to fill it out so that my refund is small (less than $500). I used the IRS's Withholding Calculator and it said that my estimated refund is over $6K! Here's my info:

I live in PA. Gross annual salary of $72K. Single, no dependents, no one can claim me as a dependent. No alimony or other income other than my salary and a $750 bonus (that was taxed). Education loan interest: $2500. I'm paid twice a month. Contribute 8% to a 401(k). Can you advise?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.


Please tell me the year-to-date federal tax amount that has been withheld this year as well as the withholding amount from your last paycheck.


I need this information to advise you accurately on how to fill out your W-4.


Thank you.



Customer: replied 3 years ago.
484.28 was withheld from my last paycheck. I'm paid twice a month. 8904.14 year to date federal tax amount withheld.
Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Okay, Kara.


Give me a moment and I'll be right back with you.



Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.



Based on the information you have given me, the IRS Withholding Calculator results are as follows:


For 2013 your tax liability will be $9,548. If you do not change your current withholding arrangement, you will have $12,292 withheld for 2013 resulting in an overpayment of $2,744 when you file your return. If you want your withholding to more closely match your anticipated tax, adjust your withholding on a new Form W-4 as follows:

  • For the only job you entered (which has a projected salary of $72,000): 11 allowances.
  • Check the "Single" box on your Form W-4

Assuming this recommendation is in effect for the rest of 2013 your expected refund should be about $150. Following this recommendation will ensure that the amount withheld from your wages will cover all of your projected tax liability while minimizing your refund.


Please let me know if you need further information or clarification.


Thank you.



Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've read that claiming so many allowances is a red flag; is this true? It seems like you just ran this through the IRS calculator.
Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.

I did utilize the IRS calculator with the information you gave me, and it is the advice provided based on that information. If you want to minimize the amount withheld from your paychecks but receive less of a refund when you file your taxes, you would claim a higher allowance amount. If you prefer to receive almost $3,000 as a refund, you can leave your allowance as it is.



Barbara and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you