PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
64119565

I got in trouble with unreported income with the irs, the original

Customer Question

I got in trouble with unreported income with the irs, the original amount tax amount was around 125K, in excess of 300k now. all of their tax bills are already hitting my mailbox. i have been paying some of the amount owed, so far no intent to lien or levy notices. so i am in process of getting my documents together for an offer in compromise with my accountant.
Now in the mean time the irs sends the state of sc a notice that there was unreported income, march of 2013 i get a tax bill from sc, i didnt pay it, now sc sent me a letter in the mail aug 2013 stating that they have (swiftly) placed property liens and they also put the amount owed on my credit report.
When you do an offer in compromise with the irs you have to send 20% of the offer up front, Now that the state of sc has liens on property, it is not possible to sell property to fund the 20% for the oic for the irs. Seems to me the irs shot themselves in the foot and done all the paperwork for the state.
So i guess my question is now, How does all this go down?

Thanks Daron
Category: Tax
Expert:  DanielleCPA replied 3 years ago.

DanielleCPA :

Welcome and thanks for your question.

DanielleCPA :

Sorry to hear about your tax problem.

JACUSTOMER-5ertgp0u- :

Im with you, Danielle

DanielleCPA :

It is common practice for the IRS and states to share information with each other. I know it's frustrating, but there is nothing that can be done as far as that goes.

JACUSTOMER-5ertgp0u- :

Have you any experience in this area?

DanielleCPA :

In what area - offers in compromises?

DanielleCPA :

I see that you rated my answer bad service. I am still here to help you.

JACUSTOMER-5ertgp0u- :

I guess not? Have a nice night

DanielleCPA :

What do you mean, you guess not?

DanielleCPA :

If you would rather another expert help you, I will gladly opt out so that someone else may assist you. However, if you clarify your question, I will gladly continue working with you.

DanielleCPA :

Are you asking about your options with the IRS, South Carolina, or both?

JACUSTOMER-5ertgp0u- :

A different advisor pls

JACUSTOMER-5ertgp0u- :

you took my question without an answer

DanielleCPA :

I have an answer but was simply asking for clarification so that I may better focus your answer. I, of course, respect your decision to work with someone else and will opt out.

Expert:  PDtax replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to the site. I'm PDtax. Since your Expert opted out, I can assist.

My firm has significant experience with Offers, both Federal and State, and the combination of two can be challenging, especially with IRS asking for 20% down. Our accept rate is well above the national average. Tax controversy work is one of our heaviest practice areas.

It's late here, after 10:30 EST, but will stay online for a brief while longer to assist you this evening. If we need more time, I will be available tomorrow morning briefly and again in the afternoon to assist.
Expert:  PDtax replied 3 years ago.
I see that you have submitted your question again and another Expert is assisting you.