Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I owe state taxes (Virginia for 10, 11 and 12) - I am in the

I owe state taxes (Virginia for 10, 11 and 12) - I am in the process of filing my state taxes. I am not offering any excuses for not filing or not having state taxes withheld. Basically, my daughter's on-going illness beginning in 2011 (chronic hospitalizations and suicide attempts). I only filed my federal taxes in April and am sure its a matter of time before I get the nastygrams.

I guess my real question is can get a payment plan for my state taxes? If they file a levy, I may as well quit my job now. Any insight or suggestions that you can provide will be helpful.

MyVirtualCPA :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

In the state of Virginia, they will work with you to get a payment plan that works for you

Customer:

I am fine....your status says you are offline

MyVirtualCPA :

I am online

Customer:

I guess I am overwhelmed about the state taxes. I had planned to file and request a payment plan

MyVirtualCPA :

You will be able to do that. They want to work with you ... they only typically levy as a last case resort

Customer:

I appreciate your response, l didn't have enough taxes withheld and estimate that I'll owe 8100.00 or so. Would you recommend having a CPA or enrolled agent file the taxes for me?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, I always recommend that

Customer:

Based on your response, I think I can work with the state to resolve this matter or at least it sounds like it.

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, they will be reasonable with you

Customer:

Thanks again I appreciate your help I've had nightmares about criminal prosecution and losing my limited assets. I really really appreciate your assistance

MyVirtualCPA :

Don't worry about that. The only time that happens is when you purposefully avoid them for a long time

Customer:

I haven't filed for three years but I'm not sure if that's a long time.

MyVirtualCPA :

No, it's when the state starts filing returns on your behalf and you don't return their calls

MyVirtualCPA :

they aren't going to prosecute you for being three years late when you're willing to pay the tax due

Customer:

Alright thanks again - I appreciate it and it looks like my situation can be resolved

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, you should not worry :-)

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

No that's it.

MyVirtualCPA :

Good. If you would, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Billie,

Thanks for the opportunity to assist. I see you stepped out of live chat. If you would, please take a moment to rate my response, as this is the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

Thanks!
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer