Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is there any way for a taxpayer to exclude the gain she had

on the sale of a...
Is there any way for a taxpayer to exclude the gain she had on the sale of a primary residence that she only lived in for 1 out of the last 5 years.
9/2/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

If you had to leave your primary residence for work, because of illness, or unforeseen circumstances you may be able to exclude a portion of your gain.

MyVirtualCPA :

So, in your case if you met the criteria you could exclude up to $125,000 - $250,000 if married filing jointly

MyVirtualCPA :

Here is a great article that explains all of this: http://www.tscpa.com/content/files/tscpa/Journal/articles/home_sale_gains.pdf

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there any additional questions you have for me today?

MyVirtualCPA :

If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today