Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I havent filed a tax return for the last seven years. I would

I haven't filed a tax...
I haven't filed a tax return for the last seven years. I would like to resolve this issue but am unsure as to who is best to assist me i.e. attorney, cpa, the irs themselves. Do you have any suggestions as to who is an appropriate tax consultant for this issue? Thanks
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/2/2013
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

NPVAdvisor :

NPVAdvisor :

You may want to contact an individual that is an EA (Enrolled agent) ....

NPVAdvisor :

EAs are the only federally licensed tax practitioners who specialize in taxation and also have unlimited rights to represent taxpayers before the IRS

NPVAdvisor :

They know the PROCEDURAL side of taxes better than most of the CPA's I've know over the years AND still work for you (THEY ARE NOT agents or employees of the IRS) They work for AND REPRESENT you

NPVAdvisor :

I am not an enrolled agent ... nor do I have have any association, ... but as a CFP practitioner for over 28 years, I've seen more folks like you helped best by EAs than many of the other professionals out there. They specialize in issues such as yours, tax problems issues, etc.

NPVAdvisor :

Here's a quote from the EA association's site: "Unlike attorneys and CPAs, who are state licensed and who may or may not choose to specialize in taxes, all enrolled agents specialize in taxation. Registered tax return preparers have passed a minimal competence test on tax forms for individuals, and have only limited representation rights."

NPVAdvisor :

Now, if you want to go it on your own, you DO most certainly have an advantage, in getting to them before they get to you ... You can get past year Turbotax products, and the interview method used by these programs will do an excellent job of letting you know what you need to pull together, as you go through the interview in the software........ https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products.jsp

NPVAdvisor :

And finally, the third option would be to go to a CPA, BUT where EA's practice completely in the tax area, not all CPAs will have experience with past year returns. Be sure that you do a little phone interviewing before you choose

NPVAdvisor :

I hope this helps

NPVAdvisor :

I still don't see you coming into the chat here, so I'll move us to the "Q&A mode," ... Maybe that will help ( We can still continue a dialoguge there, just not in real-time chat as we can here) .... Please let me know if you have any questions at all

NPVAdvisor :

Ahhh there you are... I'll wait

NPVAdvisor :

Questions?

NPVAdvisor :

Are you there?

NPVAdvisor :

My screen says that you're typing, but after five more minutes I still don't see you ... sometimes switching to the Q&A mode helps ... we can still go back and forth there until you're satisfied.. I'll be there waiting for you

NPVAdvisor :

Lane

Customer:

Thank you very much for this information, sometimes it is quite difficult to navigate through the questionable content found on the internet. I had talked to an tax preparer, can't remember if he was a C.P.A. or not, he had a glazed look in his eyes when I mentioned completing prior years tax returns. I am not looking for someone to help me for free, just someone who is best suited to help without scare tactics or unlikely promises. I know the IRS itself offers an assistance service, but I am wary of their ability to assist me quickly and competently. I have already reviewed the naea website listed above and will begin contacting some of those people tomorrow.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi Matt,

... just checking back in HERE, as I never saw you come int the chat.

Let me know what else you need, or any other questions you have.

.. be glad to discuss your situation further.

Lane

K, now I can look back up and see what you were typing.

Yes, EA's are essentially "tax problem" people, ALTHOUGH I dont think you necessarily have a big problem, especially if you haven't received anything from the yet.

In my experience, those that get to them first have a much better experience, so it's really just about getting it done.

And if you are going to owe, you can set up an installment agreement online here:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Online-Payment-Agreement-Application

Hope this has helped

Lane

If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better … That's the only way they will pay us here.

HOWEVER, if you need more on this, PLEASE COME BACK here, so you won't be charged for another question.

Thanks so much Matt!

Just get to them first and you'll be fine

Lane
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS