Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What do I need to do to file my tax return for the last three

years? I was unable to...
What do I need to do to file my tax return for the last three years? I was unable to get W2 from my previous companies online. These were smaller companies and I lost the hard copies of W2 while moving to the west from the east cost.
9/2/2013
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Stephen G. :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything that is not clear.

Stephen G. :

You will have to get a transcript of your account from the IRS. That will give you the detail of the W2s by year; you'll need to ask for each year.

Stephen G. :

You can order them online at IRS.gov

Customer:

So every person would have an account created in the IRS database, which will also contain copies of my past W2 copies. What kind of information do I have to provide? Is this the same for federal and state returns?

Stephen G. :

You will be able to get the numbers that you need to file the tax returns from the transcript.

Stephen G. :

You won't get actual copies of the W2s, but you don't need them. Just the numbers.

Stephen G. :

You will be able to get the New Jersey information from that Department of Revenue. You'll only need the New Jersey withholding unless your state gross income is different from the federal.

Stephen G. :

In any event, I would concentrate on the federal first and then you can call the NJ Department of Revenue or check online, with the state it is probably better to call them directly.

Stephen G. :

The federal transcripts will give you all the information on any other income (interest, dividends, etc.) that has been reported to the IRS on 1099s, if you have anything of that nature.

Stephen G. :

Questions?

Customer:

Do I need to go to a Tax Expert to file these return or can I do it online?

Stephen G. :

You can prepare them yourself online if you use a tax program from TurboTax or H&R Block or any one of several others. But you'll have to file paper returns as they are late.

Customer:

OK. Thank you so much.

Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert