Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am incorporated in Florida. I have warehouse and PO box

I am incorporated in Florida...
I am incorporated in Florida. I have warehouse and PO box in NY. I have no physical presence in any other states.

If I am selling to other states do I only need to register as a foreign agent in NY?

Also, how do I pay sales tax in other states? Do I just register online?
8/31/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D. :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,

Even though you are located outside of New York State, if you have customers in New York State, and you have sufficient connection with New York State (a warehouse in NY is enough to be connected), you are required to register for New York State and local sales tax purposes.
You would be required to collect NY sales tax from sales inside NY to NY buyers.
Sales tax is normally collected by the seller when the sale is made and delivered in the same state. States have a use tax in most cases that is required of the buyer when the sales tax is not collected. If you do not have a nexus in a state (you have no warehouse or physical presence) then you would most likely not need to collect sales tax in that state.

Robin D. :

Each state is a little different though so you would nee dot look at each state to see their specific rules.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4