How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15315
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am incorporated in Florida. I have warehouse and PO box

This answer was rated:

I am incorporated in Florida. I have warehouse and PO box in NY. I have no physical presence in any other states.

If I am selling to other states do I only need to register as a foreign agent in NY?

Also, how do I pay sales tax in other states? Do I just register online?

Robin D. :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,

Even though you are located outside of New York State, if you have customers in New York State, and you have sufficient connection with New York State (a warehouse in NY is enough to be connected), you are required to register for New York State and local sales tax purposes.
You would be required to collect NY sales tax from sales inside NY to NY buyers.
Sales tax is normally collected by the seller when the sale is made and delivered in the same state. States have a use tax in most cases that is required of the buyer when the sales tax is not collected. If you do not have a nexus in a state (you have no warehouse or physical presence) then you would most likely not need to collect sales tax in that state.

Robin D. :

Each state is a little different though so you would nee dot look at each state to see their specific rules.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you