How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask taxmanrog Your Own Question
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 714
Experience:  Licensed CPA, MA, MST with 31 years' experience. Teach Accounting and Tax courses at Masters level.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
taxmanrog is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Scenario: (State of Texas) A business holding company has multiple

This answer was rated:

Scenario: (State of Texas) A business holding company has multiple corporations under it. The holding company reports each corporation on their tax return under the same tax ID. The corporations are each filed with the Secretary of State, but do not have their own tax ID. Is this acceptable, or does each corporation have a legal obligation to have their own tax ID?

Welcome to Just Answers! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

If each of the companies is a separate legal entity that files with the Secretary of State, then you DO need to get each one of them their own Federal Employer ID Number (FEIN) in order to properly file taxes.

The process that you are trying to accomplish, reporting the income from each one of the companies, or subsidiaries, under the parent holding company, is called filing a consolidated tax return. In order to file a consolidated return, each company in the consolidated group needs to have its own FEIN.

You can obtain a FEIN for each company fairly easily online at

This online service is, unfortunately, unavailable from August 30 until September 3, 2013, while the IRS updates its system.

I hope this answers your question! If you have any more, please feel free to ask! If you have found my answer helpful, please rate me highly! I would appreciate it!

Again, thanks! Have a great holiday weekend!


taxmanrog and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you