Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I borrowed $10000 from my IRA in 2010 and used it for Higher

Education in 2010.I had not...
I borrowed $10000 from my IRA in 2010 and used it for Higher Education in 2010.I had not repaid the $10,000 by the end of 2011 and was thus issued a 1099-R.
On my tax return,will I pay the penalty or am I qualified to claim the exceptions?1099 is for 2011 but I used the money for Higher education in 2010.Please help
8/28/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

MyVirtualCPA :

As the funds were used for education, you would not be subject to the 10% early withdrawal penalty

Customer:

My problem is the 1099-R was issued a year later.It would have been easier if it was same year.I dont even have anything to show that I used it for school in the year the 1099 was issued as school ended previous year.Hope I make sense?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, you do make sense.

MyVirtualCPA :

And you still qualify for the exception

Customer:

ok

MyVirtualCPA :

Anything else you need assistance with today ?

MyVirtualCPA :

If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

Nothing Else.Thanks for your help

Thanks, Tosin for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtual CPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today