Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
20877915

I am receiving $7,500 from a neighbor to allow a portion of

I am receiving $7,500 from a neighbor to allow a portion of my land to be assessed by the city vs the county. How is this taxed, capital gains or ordinary income?
Thanks for using JustAnswer.com! I will do my best to provide you with a clear and concise answer to your tax question based on the information that you have provided.

In order for a transaction to be treated as a capital gain, a sale of a capital asset must have occurred. In your situation, you are being paid to have your property taxed by your city rather than your county, you do not have a capital gain transaction. Therefore the income from your neighbor will be taxed as other income on line 21 of your form 1040.

If there are any other questions or concerns, please reply to this answer so that I can assist you further. If this answers your question, please rate my performance between OK and Excellent so that I may receive credit for my work. Thanks for your business.