Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

1. My wife is getting over 60k in inheritance from the estate

of an aunt from Switzerland...
1. My wife is getting over 60k in inheritance from the estate of an aunt from Switzerland. What kind of inheritance/estate taxes will she have to pay here in the US? 2. She wants a divorce. Am I entitled to any of that inheritance money?
8/24/2013
DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

DanielleCPA :

Welcome and thanks for your question!

DanielleCPA :

First, inheritances are not taxable. Your wife will not have to pay taxes on the $60K she receives.

DanielleCPA :

Second, you are not entitled to any of inheritance property outright, although a portion could be allocated to you as part of the divorce agreement. That would be a matter that the attorneys involved would need to work out as part of the settlement.

DanielleCPA :

I hope that everything works out for you. Please let me know if you need clarification on any of the above and I will gladly assist you.

DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA