Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am going to be 62 next year and own my own business and make

52k. How do I maintain...
I am going to be 62 next year and own my own business and make 52k. How do I maintain that income and collect SS? My wife is also going to be 62 in a year with no income the last 5 years.
8/24/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D. :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,

Robin D. :

While you are working, your earnings will reduce your benefit amount only until you reach full retirement age. For every $2 you earn over the limit $1 would be deducted form your SS.

Robin D. :

If you waited till full retirement age they would just deduct $1 for every $3.

Robin D. :

Even if you would reach full retirement age in 2013, the limit on your earnings for the months before full retirement age is $40,080.

Robin D. :

So your amount of income will seriously reduce your benefits should you apply before you reach full age. Plus at that mount of income at goodly amount of your SS would be taxable to you also.

Robin D. :

In short you can still collect even if you are still working but your amount for benefits would be reduced.

Robin D. :

Even if your spouse has never worked under Social Security, she may be able to get spouse’s retirement benefits if she is at least 62 years of age and she is receiving or eligible for retirement or disability benefits. She can also qualify for Medicare at age 65.

Robin D. :

Benefits paid to your spouse will not decrease your retirement benefit.

Robin D. :

You and your spouse would need to apply and speak directly with the SSA. The SSA.gov site also has many calculators you can use.

Robin D. :

Please remember that SSA can be taxable (up to 85%). You would need to add half your SS benefits and all your other income and if that amount is over the limit for your filing status, some of the SS is taxable.

Robin D. :

Here is a link to the SSA site
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/

Customer:

If I sell my company how can I take that income without affecting my SS?

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

if i sell my company is there a way to take that income without aFfectingmy social securety

If you sold the business before you collect SS then you would not have to report to SS.
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4