Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

On the IRS form W-7, line 2, Applicants mailing address, if

On the IRS form W-7...
On the IRS form W-7, line 2, Applicant's mailing address, if there is a typo mistake on the house number but zip code is correct, what to do?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/23/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

You can white out the wrong address and put the correct house number in the spot designated

Customer:

The W-7 already mailed yesterday.

MyVirtualCPA :

Then just fill out a new one and send it in

Customer:

But TIN may be processed by the IRS.

Customer:

Can the address be corrected after getting the TIN?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, the taxpayer can send in a change of address form and get it changed

Customer:

change of address form? but the applicant does not have TIN yet.

MyVirtualCPA :

Once they have the TIN then they can send in the change of address form

Customer:

When the TIN is issued, how to know it is issued?

Customer:

The IRS mail may not be delivered because of wrong house number.

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, that is going to be the difficult part

MyVirtualCPA :

There's really nothing you can do - once you send the form off, it's on its way to be processed. That's why I would file a second form - worst case they send you a letter saying that your TIN was already issued and then you can use that correspondence to get the information you need from the IRS

Customer:

But original documents were sent with the W-7 mailed yesterday.

MyVirtualCPA :

Well, there's not much you can do - other than hope that the mail comes back to the correct house

Customer:

To make a new W-7, again original documents will have to be attached.

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, that is true

MyVirtualCPA :

They would have to order and get those documents again

Customer:

>hope that the mail comes back to the correct house

Customer:

Can the post office help?

MyVirtualCPA :

You could tell the local mailman or woman what happened, and if they are good they can be on the lookout for it

Customer:

Will sending to the IRS a copy of everything that was mailed help in getting the address corrected?

MyVirtualCPA :

Unfortunately that would not help.

Customer:

what to do?

Customer:

If the post office delivers, there is no problem.

Customer:

Any expert on post office deliver matter?

Customer:

>You could tell the local mailman or woman what happened,

Customer:

Any form to fill out at the post office?

MyVirtualCPA :

No there is no form to fill out for the post office

MyVirtualCPA :

You would just have to hope for a mailman who was willing to keep an eye out for you

Customer:

is that the ideal solution to this problem?

MyVirtualCPA :

So to summarize, you would need to contact the local post office and hope they will help you watch out for this

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes that's the ideal solution

Customer:

ok. thanks

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks, Shiv for your postiive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA any time you have a tax, finance, or social security question. It was a pleasure working with you today.

How about "Hold Mail Service" at USPS.com? "If you’re going away for a while, take advantage of our Request Hold Mail service. We’ll keep your mail safely at your local Post Office until you return."

Thank you for your follow up. You could definitely try that, if you wanted to.

Thanks, and have a great night.