How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55442
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend owes the IRS over $50,000 for un-filed taxes,

This answer was rated:

My girlfriend owes the IRS over $50,000 for un-filed taxes, she owes this much because she lost a house and receives alimony from her ex. Since she does not have the interest from her homeloan any more she has to pay on the alimony. They used to offset eachother. We do not have any money, we both work and live comfortably but not extravagantly. Besides our 401K and pensions we do not have any savings and live paycheck to paycheck. What are our options? There is no way for us to pay this kind of money. I look forward to your advice. We live in California.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. First, although you may be willing to help her pay the IRS, you have no legal liability for your girlfriend's debt to the IRS, so the IRS has no right to consider your income or assets in evaluating this situation. That works in her favor. Second, what she wants to do is pursue an Offer in Compromise with the IRS. When a taxpayer owes money they cannot reasonably pay back over a period of 72 months, the path to take is to file an application for an Offer in Compromise where the IRS will agree to forgive all or a portion of it that can't reasonably be paid within the 72 month period considering her income, assets, and allowable expenses. There is a step by step process for filing the Offer in Compromise application, as well as the full details of the program, in the IRS Offer in Compromise booklet which you can find at the following website:

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not receive an answer to my second question. Should we use a tax professional or a tax attorney? How long can this take?


Thanks for following up. For some reason I didn't see your follow up. I would actually do this without a tax professional. It sends the wrong message to the IRS...i.e., that you have money for attorneys, but not for your taxes. If it seems to be going sideways with the IRS, you can always then seek counsel, but going in, I would not. :)