DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Years of Experience in Business & Personal Taxes
50747609

Payroll forms (941) for entire year 2012 filed with wrong ID

Payroll forms (941) for entire year 2012 filed with wrong ID number. IRS says use 941-X to correct. There is no change in dollars reported - bookkeeper just used wrong EIN. I've been hired to fix this and other suff. I don't see anything on the 941X that only pertains to amending the EIN. 940 form has an amendment choice, so that one is understandable. Help Jeanette XXXXXX

DanielleCPA :

Welcome and thanks for your question!

DanielleCPA :

I understand that the 941s were filed under the wrong EIN. Were the payroll tax deposits reported under the wrong EIN as well?

DanielleCPA :

I recently had a client go through a similar situation. We filed Form 941-X for returns filed under the incorrect ID number to zero out the wrong FEIN's numbers. Make sure you provide sufficient explanation under the "reasons for filing an amended return" section.

DanielleCPA :

File under the correct ID number using Form 941.

DanielleCPA :

If there were any payments reported on the incorrect EIN number, you will need to contact the IRS to have the payments moved to the correct ID number.

Customer :

As far as I know everything pertaining to the payroll was done under the incorrect EIN. The IRS agent I spoke to stated that filing the 941X would move the money paid to the correct account. Also stated amended/corrected w-2/w-3 would have to be processed. Another agent suggested a letter be sent. I feel there has to be some kind of form to

Customer :

process - I just don't think he 941-x answers the question.

DanielleCPA :

There is no separate process to correct the EIN.

DanielleCPA :

I also would have suggested filing a letter explaining the situation. In situations like this, letters can oftentimes get things squared away.

Customer :

So I just file the 941-x and state reason is change of EIN nbr??

Customer :

Sorry - I answered before reading your reply. I will send a letter and do the forms.

DanielleCPA :

You could try filing a 941-X. My hesitation with simply filing the 941-X under the correct ID number is XXXXX there was no return originally filed under the correct ID number so it will create more confusion at the IRS because there is no originally filed 941 under the correct EIN to match it up to.

Customer :

Thanks for the answer - I'll do the letter and submit corrected forms wherever possible, i.e. amended 940, W-2.

DanielleCPA :

I think the process I suggested will be cleaner overall since the entire flow of changes will be more evident, even though it is, unfortunately, more work.

DanielleCPA :

Of course. You're welcome.

DanielleCPA :

Have a wonderful evening!

Customer :

You too.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yOU FULLU ANSWERED MY QUESTION. tHANK YOU. i DID RATE YOU AS EXCELLENT.

Thank you, Jeannette. I really appreciate your positive rating. Please feel free to request me in the future if there is anything else I can do for you.