Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I just received an audit notice for 2011. I immediately contacted

tax solutions to represent me...
I just received an audit notice for 2011. I immediately contacted tax solutions to represent me as I could not understand why I am being audited. In gathering the documents requested by the auditor I see that I did not declare income I made in my small business, about $10,000. I had the desposits written on worksheets to enter in Turbo Tax and I thought that I had. I declare about $267.00 for which I have invoices for. The $10,000 was in cash and but I don't have invoices. I am now panicked because I truly thought that I had reported this in Turbo Tax.

Should I file an ammended return while I am being audited? Please advise. What is the best way to handle this?
8/20/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D. :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,

Robin D. :

If the audit is already scheduled and it is not a paper audit, you will want to bring to the attention of the representative what you have found. They will most likely wish to go ahead and prepare the amended return.

Robin D. :

Making a full disclosure will assist you but you do not want to send in the amended return unless this is an audit that is being conducted by mail.

Robin D. :

Mistakes happen and it is possible to forget an item of income on your return. You will already have an idea of the additional tax you will owe and will be able to have that amount ready.

Robin D. :

In short, bring this to the attention of the professional you have hired to assist you and let them present the information that is being requested for your audit. The IRS has a list of items they request to see when they audit a return.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

Robin D. :

If this is a paper audit and they have requested copies of documents then go ahead and prepare the amended return with all your correct info. Proving that you were not trying to commit fraud should not even be an issue. This was a mistake and if you disclose the mistake then that is in your favor. You still need to tell tax solutions though especially if they are working on this and are representing you.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4