How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The company purchased small cell phone business and paid 10,000

This answer was rated:

The company purchased small cell phone business and paid 10,000 for only store goodwill in 2011 and closed the business in 2012 without sale. In this case how do we record goodwill in 2012 tax return in Form 4797? Can we enter ordinary loss in part 1 on Form 4797 (cost 10,000- sales price 0 = 10,000) ? thanks

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

The goodwill transaction is a section 1231 where if there is a gain amortization is recaptured and if there is a loss the loss is ordinary

MyVirtualCPA :

As such, you would report ordinary loss on part 1 of form 4797


thank you !

Megan C and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks Sunny for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today...