Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is a promissory note issued in lieu of wages considered taxable

other than the interest derived?...
Is a promissory note issued in lieu of wages considered taxable other than the interest derived?
8/17/2013
Richard, Tax Attorney
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. The promissory note is not likely going to be considered taxable income because it's not the equivalent of cash and you are a cash basis taxpayer. Only if you receive cash or the cash equivalence is something taxable. In the case of a note, the case of Cowden v. Commissioner, 289 F.2d 20 (5th Cir. 1961) established that a promissory note is not the equivalent of cash unless all of the following are true: (1) the promise to pay is unconditional; (2) the promise is made by a solvent person; 3) the promise is assignable; 4) the promise is not subject to set-offs; AND 5) the promise is marketable.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Tax Attorney
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/

Richard, Tax Attorney