Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I paid $3000 to a medical doctor for expert witness services

in my personal injury case...
I paid $3000 to a medical doctor for expert witness services in my personal injury case. Is that fee deductible as either a medical or legal expense?
8/16/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D. :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Unless the doctor provided actual medical services to you the fee is not a medical expense. If you received a judgement on the case and any amount was taxable you could use the expense.
If your personal injury award was for physical injuries then those are generally not taxable unless for wage loss. The expense would only be allowed if you had to pay tax on the award.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4