How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15202
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I paid $3000 to a medical doctor for expert witness services

This answer was rated:

I paid $3000 to a medical doctor for expert witness services in my personal injury case. Is that fee deductible as either a medical or legal expense?

Robin D. :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Unless the doctor provided actual medical services to you the fee is not a medical expense. If you received a judgement on the case and any amount was taxable you could use the expense.
If your personal injury award was for physical injuries then those are generally not taxable unless for wage loss. The expense would only be allowed if you had to pay tax on the award.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you