Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can the irs audit the same return a second time after reviewing

it and requesting and receiving...
Can the irs audit the same return a second time after reviewing it and requesting and receiving additional money the first time.
8/16/2013
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Lev :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
The double jeopardy concept would apply in this case - and the same income tax return may NOT be audited a second time as long as the initial examination has been completed and a final findings report has been received from the IRS.

Lev :

Here is the law section http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/7605
(b) Restrictions on examination of taxpayer
No taxpayer shall be subjected to unnecessary examination or investigations, and only one inspection of a taxpayer’s books of account shall be made for each taxable year unless the taxpayer requests otherwise or unless the Secretary, after investigation, notifies the taxpayer in writing that an additional inspection is necessary.

Customer:

What should MY next step be?

Lev :

You may contact the IRS and inform about the double jeopardy asking to cancel the audit.
Or you may contact a tax attorney in your state to represent you.

Customer:

Thank you for your time.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor