How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15732
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Marsha, I work for a company for 33 years in Ohio (Cinicnnati)

This answer was rated:

Hi Marsha,

I work for a company for 33 years in Ohio (Cinicnnati) and live in Northern Ky so I pay both City of Cincinnati taxes and KY State taxes. I am planning to establish residency in Oklahoma to be with my significant other and travel back and forth to Cincinnati for my job as needed, since I don't have to be onsite everyday. We have rented a house in Oklahoma (Grove) and my name is XXXXX XXXXX lease. Should I tell my employer that I am establishing residency in Oklahoma and give them the new address so they can take out taxes accordingly or will the taxes be higher by doing this? When I am onsite at my job in Cincinnati I will be staying with a friend so I will not have to pay Ky taxes as well will I?

Robin D. :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
As you will be working in Cincinnati you will still be liable for nonresident tax in Ohio and reporting your change of residency to your employer is important.
You will be a part year resident for Oklahoma and part year for Ohio when you file the first year of the move. Oklahoma will allow for a credit on the taxes you pay to Ohio during your residency period in Oklahoma. There after you will be resident Oklahoma and Nonresident Ohio. Oklahoma will still allow for a credit.

Robin D. :

You will not be a resident of KY. You would be a nonresident but with no KY income sourced to KY you would not be taxed by that state.

Robin D. :

You addressed "Marsha" when you first posted. That expert is either not online or not a Tax expert so your question was (possibly) moved to the Tax category or opened for other Tax Experts to address so you would not have to wait.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you