Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My wife and I received a letter from the I R S I believe it

My wife and I received a letter from the I R S I believe it was 2007 telling us that we no longer needed to file because our income was so low that we would not have any tax liability unless our income was $54000 per year. I can't find that letter in our files .
My name isXXXXX my S S number isNNN-NN-NNNN my wife name isXXXXX and her S S isNNN-NN-NNNN is there any way that we can get a copy of that letter

Lev :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
You are correct that filing requirements are based on your gross income. However teh threshold is mush lower than your indicated.

Lev :

For filing requirements - see IRS publication 501 - www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf‎

Lev :

Please stay with me - I am looking for exact reference ...

Customer:

we are both retired and more than half our income is S S

Lev :

Page 2 - Table 1. 2012 Filing Requirements Chart for Most Taxpayers
married filing jointly when both are above 65 - if your taxable income is below 21,800 - you are not required to file.

Lev :

Social Security benefits might be partly taxable - that is a separate issue.
Here is a simple test - if you take a half of your combined SS benefits PLUS other taxable income - and the total is below $32,000 - none of your SS benefits would be taxable.

Lev :

Here is the IRS page - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Are-Your-Social-Security-Benefits-Taxable%3F
While it is referred to 2010 - all is still effective.

Lev :

If you provide separately amounts of your SS benefits and other taxable income - I will help to determine if you need to file or not.

Customer:

our pensions total 16228 and our SS totals 27726

Lev :

So - using that test 27726 / 2 + 16228 = 30091 - that is less than $32,000 - and NONE of your SS benefits will be taxable.
Your ONLY taxable income is from pension $16228
However - if you both are above 65 - that is below filing requirements threshold - which is $21800 for 2012 - and you are NOT required to file your federal income tax return.

Customer:

Thank you and good bye I have to go to my doctor

So - there is a two-step procedure:
1 - determine if any of your SS benefits are taxable - we determined that NONE
2 - based on your total taxable income - determine if you are are required to file - we determined that you are NOT required.

Please feel free if you need any help.