How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15203
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am wondering about the rules for a filing for an earned income

This answer was rated:

I am wondering about the rules for a filing for an earned income tax credit in 2012. One of my friends is married but has not seen or heard from his wife for eight years. He has less than 5,000.00 in income and I think he should qualify for 800.00. I am not sure which form he should fill out to get it? My other friend is a widow and she also has almost no income for 2012. Should she file the same form as my friend above if he qualifies? Another friend of mine is divorced and she has no earned income but she does get money from a trust fund in the amount of 18000.00 per year. Can she qualify and use the same form? If her money does not come from a job but rather inheritance.

Robin D. :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
As far as your 1st friend, he is married and must file married filing separate unless he has a dependent child that lived with him.

Robin D. :

2nd friend, if no income then there is no need to file as no refund would be allowed. You must have earned income to receive EIC.

Robin D. :

3rd friend, again earned income is a requirement for EIC.

Robin D. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you