How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask USTaxAdvising Your Own Question
USTaxAdvising, CPA
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1237
Experience:  US Taxation specialist.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
USTaxAdvising is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My individual income is $14,292 from Social Security Disability.

This answer was rated:

My individual income is $14,292 from Social Security Disability. I am about to be divorced and will receive $300,000 cash in the settlement. How much state (CA) and federal tax should I save.

What if we bought a condo and he quit claimed it over to me and I would quit claim on the marital house. Do you avoid taxes then?

USTaxAdvising :

Hello, Thank you for using justanswer. I can assist you with your questions today.

USTaxAdvising :

Assuming the cash settlment is taxable then the federal tax rate on an income of 314,292 would be appoximately

USTaxAdvising : <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="412">

Your Filing Status


Total Exemptions

Total Income

Adjustments to Income

Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)

Standard Deduction

Total Itemized Deductions

Total Taxable Income

Tax Bracket

Effective Tax Rate

Tax Owed Based on Income

Total Other Taxes
Pict Pict Pict Pict

Total Credits

Total Payments

Estimated RefundEstimated Amount Owed

USTaxAdvising :

Sorry I never finished before I posted the above - your effective tax rate is 28% while the tax bracket is 33%

USTaxAdvising :

Total federal tax owed would be appoximately $85,027

USTaxAdvising :

See link here for the estimate tax calculator -

USTaxAdvising :

Note that the cash settlment may not be taxable if it is:

  • - Property settlement payments, even if required by the divorce decree or other

written instrument or agreement.• Retirement benefits that the other spouse

is entitled to receive based on division of

community property.

• Any voluntary payments made before they

are required by a divorce decree or

written agreement.

Child support payments.

USTaxAdvising :

The California tax due would be approximately $26,579 - here is a link to the tax estimator -

USTaxAdvising :

What if we bought a condo and he quit claimed it over to me and I would quit claim on the marital house. Do you avoid taxes then? - I don't really understand your question. If you receive the home in the divorce then the receipt would be non taxable as it was a property settlement, not alimony. If you then sold the home later then it would most likely not be taxable as I assume you would have lived in the home as your principal residence for at least 2 out of the last five years. If you sell your principal residence which you have lived in for at least 2/5 years before the date of sale you can exclude up to 250,000 of the gain on sale.

USTaxAdvising :

I hope this provides the clarity you were looking for. Please let me know if something is not clear or if you have any further questions.

USTaxAdvising :

Best regards,

USTaxAdvising and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you