Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a general contractor in Michigan. I have a contract with

the Veterans Affairs Medical Center...
I am a general contractor in Michigan. I have a contract with the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Roudebush, IN. We are doing construction to their building. Our subcontractor is doing the HVAC which amounts to quite a bit of sales tax. I and they believe we are tax exempt because the project should be exempt due to it being a US Government agency. The VA in Indiana will not give us a tax exempt certificate, they say they "just don't give them out" so my subcontractor is asking me to fill out a Form ST105 and provide it to them for the tax audit. Is this correct ? I do not want to be held liable for taxes if this is incorrect.
FYI -We do work all over the country and have received tax exemption certificates from other VA's for similar work. I do not understand why and cannot get a clear answer as to why the VA in Indianapolis will not give us a tax exempt certificate.
8/5/2013
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

NPVAdvisor :

NPVAdvisor :

NO this is just the process that Indiana has for getting the certificate

NPVAdvisor :

Registered Indiana retailers and out-of-state businesses may both use a form ST-105 to certify that a purchase of tangible personal property is exempt from collection of state sales tax.

NPVAdvisor :

I believe it's on option 8 of the form that you state that this is exempt for purposes of a federal government agency

NPVAdvisor :

Yes, in section 3 of the form (toward the bottom, you'll check the box that says, "Sales to the United States Federal Government - show agency name.

Note: A U.S. Government agency should enter its Federal Identification Number (FID#) in Section #1 in lieu of a State ID#."

NPVAdvisor :

This has nothing to do with a tax audit. This is just the way VA does it in IN, as per Indiana state law

NPVAdvisor :

Hope this helps

NPVAdvisor :

Lane

NPVAdvisor :

(let me know if you have questions)

The contracting officer says the VA Medical Center does not give out its FID #. Should I try traveling up the chain (this will risk upsetting my contracting officer for future jobs) ? Or is this legal ? Can I input my Federal Tax ID # ?

That's really strange.

I think I would try (1) going up the line, using the form as an example (where it says specifically the the federal agency should use it's I'd rather than a state ID

I have to finish up a meeting here, but if you would, give me the name of that specific institution and I'll see if I can't find it in a database .... It's a govt agency. Probably not really a private issue anyway

Check back in a couple of hours, if you would.

Lane

Thank you Lane. The agency is Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Roudebush, Indianapolis, Indiana.

Great! Just walked into a meeting check back in a couple of hrs if you would.

Hope that's ok

Lane

Got it!

THe Dept of Veterans affairs FEIN is 741612229

Retrieved from: www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/programs/css/fa_ms_contact_information.pdf

... Which was retrieved from the department of Health and human services site: http://www.hhs.gov/

Also, here's an article on finding Government agencies Federal Tax ID's: http://www.ehow.com/how_6589478_tax-id-federal-agencies.html

Now just fill in the form, and remember ...

" in section 3 of the form (toward the bottom, you'll check the box that says, "Sales to the United States Federal Government - show agency name.

Hope this helps

Lane

Thank you so much ! So in Section 1 under name of purchaser is it the agency name (Veterans Affairs Medical Center) ? Or my name as the general contractor ? I understand I use the agency FID.

Sorry, had to go look at the form.

Line 1 is for your name (the entity actually buying the materials (for further sale to the federal government)

here's a fill-in pdf copy of the form if you don't already have one: ST-105

Lane

If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better … That's the only way they will pay us here.

HOWEVER, if you need more on this, PLEASE COME BACK here, so you won't be charged for another question.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Thanks Sherry.

If you'd like to work with ME again just say "For Lane only," at the beginning of your next question.

Thanks again!
Lane

I will do. Thank you for your help !

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS