Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I filed 2007-2010 late ( May 2013). Im owed a refund for

I filed 2007-2010 late (...
I filed 2007-2010 late ( May 2013).
I'm owed a refund for 2012 which I just filed. I also filed an amended 2011 return last week. It's says I owe them something for 2007and 2010. I have submitted medical docs to support my waiver of the penalties. Will irs issue a refund to me for the amount they owe me for 2012 minus the amount they claim I owe them for the other years, or will they wait until they render an opinion on the penalties, then issue the refund? About how long does this take? Since the 2011 amended return was mailed in the same day I efiled 2012, obviously it would not include that correction.
8/5/2013
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Lev :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Will irs issue a refund to me for the amount they owe me for 2012 minus the amount they claim I owe them for the other years, or will they wait until they render an opinion on the penalties, then issue the refund?
If you are due a refund - that refund will be issued. If you are under collection for previous years or if you stated that refund must be applied to other tax liability - the refund will be issued - but will be offset by your tax debt. In case your refund will be offset - all tax debt will be considered - actual tax liability, penalties, and interest charges.
About how long does this take? Since the 2011 amended return was mailed in the same day I efiled 2012, obviously it would not include that correction.
Processing time for 2012 efiled tax return might be about 2-3 weeks.
Amended tax returns are processed longer - generally 4-8 weeks.

Lev :

In some situations processing time might be longer.
It is hard to predict the exact processing time.
You may verify the status of your amended tax return on this page - http://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor