How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55134
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As a single Member LLC, can single member received wage as

This answer was rated:

As a single Member LLC, can single member received wage as employee (w2 form) ?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Hi there and thanks so much for requesting me. Unfortunately, in general, no. Unless the LLC is treated as an S Corp, you do this through an employee leasing company, or you set up a tiered structure, a member in an LLC that provides services to the LLC can not be treated as an employee for federal income tax purposes; as a result, rather than receiving a W-2, such compensation paid to the member will be reflected on a K-1 as a “guaranteed payment.” The member would have to pay both employee and employer portions of FICA taxes (including OADSI and Medicare payroll taxes).

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so single member provide service to the LLC, cannot received wage, ex. W2 etc. I mean he only can file tax on form 1040 as annual income?

It would be reported on a K-1 as a guaranteed payment. No as W-2 wage income.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry, I don't get it. What is K-1?

Thanks for following up. Actually, I misspoke because I had not tied this question to your prior question as you treating your LLC as a disregarded entity. Since you do and report this on Schedule C rather than on a partnership return, your LLC operations will simply be on Schedule C. And, you will not treat this as W-2 wage income.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

AS a single member LLC, can I pay myself some wage as w2, and rest of income of LLC will report on Schedule c.

No...that's not the way it works. Since you are treating this as a disregarded entity for tax purposes, you can not simply pay yourself from an entity that is being disregarded. I'm sorry!!!
Richard and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks again for the positive rating! I truly appreciate that!