Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We had a personal home that we put on the market as a rental

home about 12.5 years ago...
We had a personal home that we put on the market as a rental home about 12.5 years ago when we moved and bought a new place.

The value of the home at the time we converted it to rental property was $97,000. We used straight line depreciation on the value of the home only for tax purposes. The land it sat on was valued at approximately $45,000 = total value of approx $137,500

We are now selling the rental property for $206,900. Will we have to pay taxes on depreciation recapture as a section 1250 property?
8/3/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

Customer:

fine. thank you

MyVirtualCPA :

Unfortunately, when you sell property that you have depreciated, if it is sold at a gain you will have to recapture depreciation at a rate of 25%

MyVirtualCPA :

As you stated, it's a section 1250 gain

Customer:

What if you generally operated at a loss (including depreciation and interest)? We have carry forward losses of about $80,000

MyVirtualCPA :

That loss would offset any of your gain, so if you had gain after deducting those losses then that would be recaptured

Customer:

OK, that's what I thought. Thank you

MyVirtualCPA :

Ok if you would, please rate my response as "excellent"

MyVirtualCPA :

so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks, Faye for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.