Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Hi Jacy are you still operating as a CPA, and can you prepare

Hi Jacy are you still operating...
Hi Jacy

are you still operating as a CPA, and can you prepare NRA Federal and NYS tax returns for me for past years through current? I have an ITIN, and so does my wife. I believe filing is Married Filing Separately for NRA?

regards....Tony Grafton
8/3/2013
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Hi, Mr. Grafton.

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.

Jacy is currently offline, and I see that your question has not been addressed as of yet. Please permit me to advise you that, per JA site rules, experts cannot prepare your tax returns.

To answer your question, you are correct. Since both you and your wife are non-resident aliens, you must utilize the married filing separately filing status.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

OK, but how do I get in touch with someone to get my returns prepared?

I just need a sole trader CPA who can prepare the returns, as I am not familiar with all the correct forms etc. and the IRS/NYS way of presenting figures.

Thank you for your follow-up question.

Your best course of action would be to contact a major tax preparation company, such as H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, etc., or contact a local CPA or Enrolled Agent. I would advise contacting several, so you can compare their fees.

Please let me know if I can assist you further. Thank you.

Barb

Some additional information for you--

A colleague of mine pointed out that you might also try contacting the New York CPA Society. They, as do most State societies, have a membership list that indicates specialties.

I hope this additional information is helpful to you.

Thank you.

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Just a short note to thank you for the positive rating. It is most appreciated.

If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to put "for bkb1956 or Barb" in the subject line, and I will be happy to assist you. Recommendations to family and friends are also always appreciated.

Thanks again, and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent