How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 10 year tax statute with the IRS that is running.

This answer was rated:

I have a 10 year tax statute with the IRS that is 'running.' I had a period where it was tolling because of a OIC that was denied. I know the assessment dates. I am trying to pin down the exact date the statute runs out. I am also aware that once it does there is an additional 30 or 60 days before it is officially expired. Who do I call at the IRS to determine the exact date?

Thanks for using! I will do my best to provide you with a clear and concise answer to your tax question based on the information that you have provided me.

In general, you are supposed to be able to get this information on the main 1-800-829-1040 phone number. However, the employees on this line are notoriously slow, impatient, and under trained. If you know the tax year/years related to the expiring 10-year statute, obtaining the IRS statute of limitations information on your account from this line will be significantly easier.

Alternatively, if you have a CPA, enrolled agent, or a tax preparer that you work with, you may want to have them call for you. The IRS has "practitioner only" lines that are manned with better trained agents, shorter wait times, and are usually much faster for obtaining information. You would need to provide form 2848 to your CPA or enrolled agent, and form 8821 to your tax preparer before they can call. Those forms are found in the links below.

Form 8821
Form 2848

If there are additional questions or concerns, please reply to this answer so that I may assist you further. If this answers your question, please rate my performance between OK and Excellent so that I may receive credit for my answer. Thanks for your business.

Phillip B, EA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you