Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

since irs cant get my va disability and only 15% of my ssi

will they take my car...
since irs cant get my va disability and only 15% of my ssi will they take my car
8/2/2013
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
According to current tax law regarding collection procedure - the IRS MAY register a lien on your car and any property you own.
They MAY take away your car as well. However unless that is a luxury vehicle and if that is your only car - it would be very unlikely that your car would be taken away to satisfy your tax debt.
However - it is very likely that a lien will be registered and it will be reflected on your credit report.

LEV :

The best way in such situation would be to negotiate a payment plan.
If you would not be able to agree on payment terms - the IRS will start collection efforts

Customer:

what about an uncollectable debt

LEV :

The tax debt become uncollectable after the statute of limitation runs out.
A general statute of limitation for federal income tax purposes is ten years after the tax liability is assessed.

Customer:

thanks

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor