Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

Im in the US and Ive contracted with an Australian company

I'm in the US and I've contracted with an Australian company to develop software. They have a programmer working in my office. Their monthly invoices are from Australia and I pay by wire transfer to their bank account in Australia. Is there anything different I should be reporting to the IRS because they're a foreign company or should I just treat them the same as a US vendor, except I don't believe I need to issue a 1099 for them. I'd greatly appreciate a sounding board. Thank you.

Anne :

Hi

Anne :

good question

Anne :

are you paying the individual that is currently working in your office, or are you paying the company in Australia that he works for?

Customer:

Hi Anne,I'm paying the company that he works for.

Anne :

ok.......give me a minute to look at the treaty

Anne :

ok.......

Anne :

I'm back.........

Anne :

by the way, here's the treaty:

Anne :

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/aus.pdf

Anne :

Although there was nothing in it that I found that changed my initial answer, which is ....since you're paying the company, and NOT the person, the money is not subject to the 30% withholding, ..........and I agree with the rest of your statement

Anne :

The only connection you will have with this foreign company is the purchase of their software, is that correct?

Customer:

Correct. I have no financial interest in them.

Customer:

I'm an arm's-length customer.

Anne :

and when their job is over..........they go back to Australia, and you go on with your business.........correct?

Customer:

Not sure about their local person. He's a resident alien. He'll probably go to another customer. The project has been going for a year and will continue for another 1-2 years.

Customer:

There are other programmers involved, but they not on site and not in the USA.

Anne :

What kind of business are you going into?

Customer:

I'm developing a software app that's used by an insurance company. I expect to find more customers.

Anne :

Ok........so you are not selling for that company in Australia, they are simply doing the software part, so yes, you report the expense, they are not subject to the 30% income tax withholding by you, and you will want to save your wire transfers for proof of the expense for the IRS

Customer:

Right. Copies of the transfers are in my "bank file."

Anne :

hold on just one minute more, ok?

Customer:

ok

Anne :

Thanks.......was just reviewing one more web site re: foreign corps and effectively connected income.........and neither applied to you

Anne :

I always test myself by finding all of the info I can...........and nothing I have found makes me change my original answer

Anne :

I think you're good

Customer:

Thank you so much. I guess this session concludes.

Anne :

yes, if you have further questions, you may come back here and post them, even after payment.

Customer:

Thank you.

Anne :

you mentioned having a sounding board............so if you need me again....that's fine

Thank you for the accept and the excellent rating!

Please feel free to ask for me by name if I can help you in the future.