Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a college professor, but also made $30K in 2012 as a sole

Customer Question
proprietor. I got an...
I am a college professor, but also made $30K in 2012 as a sole proprietor. I got an extension and am now working on filing. There are some expenses for conferences, speaking engagements, books purchased that I could consider and list as unreimbursed expenses for my college professor position on 2106 EZ or as sole proprietor business expenses on schedule C-EZ. Which is better place to put them?

Also, I am a single parent and when I have to travel on business and for conferences I take my 10-yr-old and someone who is not a relative and not an employee to look after him while I am in meetings or doing presentations. Can I deduct their travel expenses in this case b/c I would otherwise have to pay for childcare?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Tax
7/30/2013
Tax Professional: Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer replied 4 years ago
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer

Arthur Rubin :

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will try to answer all your questions, but a number of answers may depend on circumstances you have not specified.

Arthur Rubin :

Your first question: It would generally be better for you if you allocate all the expenses to your business (Schedule C), but the law and regulations suggest you should allocate expenses which are appropriate for either your employment or your business, proportionally to gross income. In other words, if you gross $30K from your business and $45K as a professor, you should allocate 3/5 of your expenses on form 2106 (or 2106-EZ) and 2/5 of your expenses on Schedule C (or C-EZ).

JACUSTOMER-bw0jykrz- :

Ok, that makes sense. Any insights on the second part of the question?

Arthur Rubin :

Claiming travel expenses as childcare is more complicated. I would say you can only claim those expenses as childcare expenses; your friend's travel expenses and meals (but not your child's) should be allowable as childcare.

Arthur Rubin :

I'm not familiar with the nuances of Georgia law, but it's possible that, if you have employees and make child care available to those employees, you might be able to deduct your child care as a business expense. This wouldn't work for your Federal taxes unless you set up a qualified plan in your business, and probably not even then. I'm not an expert in drafting qualified benefit plans, so you would need to find another expert to answer whether it could be done at all; I'm just saying it's possible.

Arthur Rubin :

That covers everything I can think of at the moment; if you need further clarification or details, please let me know.

Arthur Rubin :

I can see that you typed something, but I can't see what it is, at the moment. Please bear with me.

Arthur Rubin :

Sorry, I've now switched browsers, and it seems to work. (I'm not a computer expert.) Any more questions?

Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer