Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

Everyone in my family has Allergies AND Asthma. Can I take

Everyone in my family has Allergies AND Asthma. Can I take a deduction on my taxes for a Kirby Sentria II? The salesperson is saying I can take it because of my allergies - he says it is a home cleaning device....not just a vacuum cleaner. Sounds a little too good to be true, so I wanted to confirm.

Stephen G :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything that is not clear.

Stephen G :

I'm not familiar with a Kirby Sentria II, but is it some type of special filtering vacuum?

Stephen G :

You would need a doctor's order to justify such a deduction; it can't just improve everyone's general health and be generally beneficial; it must serve a specific purpose for a specific patient; it can benefit everyone, but it needs to be similar to a prescription. Also, can you describe what the unit does.

Stephen G :

Remember, in order for medical expenses to be of any benefit, you must be itemizing deductions and your medical expenses have to exceed 7 1/2 percent of your adjusted gross income. Also, whomever the device benefits would have to be either the taxpayer or a dependent of the taxpayer.

Stephen G :

Questions?

Stephen G :

If you need to contact me again with any tax or financial questions, you can just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question. Again, please remember to rate my response. Bonuses, where you think they are warranted, and excellent ratings, are always most appreciated. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com.You may get a short survey from the site; if it isn't too much trouble I would appreciate it if you would answer it; the survey results are used to rate our performance;

Customer:

what counts as medical deductions? Co-pays, premiums, deductables??

Stephen G :

Yes.

Stephen G :

I can give you a link to an IRS publication that will give examples.

Stephen G :

You can deduct the cost of transportation to & from obtaining medical care also; you would keep track of your mileage.

Stephen G :

Your out-of-pocket costs for prescription drugs, would qualify.

Stephen G :

Here's a link to IRS Publication 502 re Medical Expenses

Stephen G :

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/

Stephen G :

All out of pocket dental expenses would qualify as medical expense.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

Do you have any additional or follow-up questions?

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate my answers above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Thanks very much.