Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Hello, Is there a way to see if our grandma was claimed

Hello, Is there a way to...

Is there a way to see if our grandma was claimed for 2012 tax returns? Apparently, no one in the family could claim her and get money because they would have to pay more in their tax returns. So, is there a way to check if this is true and no one had use her social and claim her in their tax return?

Thank you
7/29/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Your Grandmother would need to contact the IRS (by phone or in office) and make the inquiry. The general number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand there are numerous offices in CA. If you tell me the city I would be happy to get the address and info for them.

Customer:

we are in pacoima, california

Robin D :

Apparently, no one in the family could claim her and get money because they would have to pay more in their tax returns. This part of your question is a little confusing. I can tell you that to claim a dependent you must provide more than 50% of their support. If more than one person did this then there is a multiple support agreement.

Robin D :

One sec and I will get the office info

Robin D :

Here is the page for all IRS offices in CA
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-My-Local-Office-in-California

Robin D :

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful.

Customer:

yes. thank you

Robin D :

You are most welcome

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4