Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

how long does it take to get a amended tax refund back

7/28/2013
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

NPVAdvisor :

NPVAdvisor :

The IRS Service Center will manually process your amended return. They will check to make sure your explanations are sufficient. They will check to see that you have sufficiently documented the changes in your tax return. For example, they will double check your W-2 statements, withholding, and other information reporting on your amended tax return. If the IRS needs more explanation or documentation, they will write you a letter and ask for the specific information they need. If you owe additional tax, you should mail in a check to pay the tax in full. If you are due an additional refund, expect your refund to arrive in approximately 8 to 12 weeks.

NPVAdvisor :

The fact that this is done manually, and that transmission to them has to be done by paper, is the reason it takes so long.

NPVAdvisor :

Here's a great article on the whole process by enrolled agent XXXXX XXXXX: http://taxes.about.com/od/taxtrouble/a/form1040X_3.htm

NPVAdvisor :

Also, here's what the IRS says, AND a way to check online regarding your return: http://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

NPVAdvisor :

help this helps!

NPVAdvisor :

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi Robert!

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Again, if you have further questions let me know.

Lane

Hi Robert,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Lane
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS