Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If I lived in Maine and owned a property there but worked in

New Hampshire where there is...
If I lived in Maine and owned a property there but worked in New Hampshire where there is no income tax, would I have to pay anything or would Maine law apply? Maine has lower property tax but New Hampshire reigns supreme in income tax at zero.
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/27/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

If you live in Maine, you will owe income tax there on the income you earn in New Hampshire

MyVirtualCPA :

To avoid Maine tax, you would have to move from there

JACUSTOMER-k1zg6ucw- :

To avail of NH income tax rates I must live there then correct?

MyVirtualCPA :

Correct

JACUSTOMER-k1zg6ucw- :

Why would you have to pay Maine income tax rates for income earned outside the state?

MyVirtualCPA :

Because Maine taxes your worldwide incme

MyVirtualCPA :

income

MyVirtualCPA :

If New Hampshire had tax, you would owe tax to both NH and ME

MyVirtualCPA :

But Maine would give you credit for NH tax, but you'd still have both taxes to do

JACUSTOMER-k1zg6ucw- :

Oh sorry to clarify then I would file in Maine but NH rates would be applied at 0%?

MyVirtualCPA :

No.

MyVirtualCPA :

You owe tax on all the income you earn in Maine at the Maine income tax rates

JACUSTOMER-k1zg6ucw- :

I thought you said that but what do you mean they would 'give me credit' for NH tax exactly?

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm sorry that I confused you. I was making the point that IF NH DID have income tax, (which they don't but say they did) then you would pay income tax to both NH and ME

JACUSTOMER-k1zg6ucw- :

Righto got it. I see NH is in the 10 lowest overall tax bracket and Maine is in the 10 highest overall. Would you say that is correct based on your experience? I would rather live in maine (cheaper housing for sure!) but am worried about that statistic. I see NH also has some odd laws regarding car insurance and some sort of tax on cars unique to them? So wondering if it balances at all? I am trying to make Maine a valid choice compared to NH next door with no sales or income tax.

MyVirtualCPA :

I couldn't assess which is the best state. All I can confirm is that Maine has higher taxes and lower housing costs. I also don't know anything about the laws surrounding car insurance

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.