Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I just received an amended 1099 DIV from Fidelity for 2012.

I have already filed my...
I just received an amended 1099 DIV from Fidelity for 2012. I have already filed my 2012 return and received my refunds. I entered the changes which decreased my total ordianry dividens by $17, increased my Qualified dividends by $17, and added $17 to Nondividend Distributions. When I changed these numbers on my tax software it increased my refund by $2 for the Fed and $1 for the state.
Do I have to submit an amended tax return for 2012 since this is such a small amount?
7/27/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
You may receive a letter from the IRS and/or state amount the difference in the reporting. If you do at that time you could send in the correct amounts or you can go ahead and submit the change. There is no set amount that requires a 1040X be filed.

Robin D :

If you wait it could be anywhere form 1 to 3 years before you hear form the IRS about the corrected 1099DIV. They will then require the information. It is generally easier to amend while the information is fresh and documents are in hand.

Robin D :

Customer Last Viewed Today at 1:09

Robin D :

Please let me know if you need clarification before you rate.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4