Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Hi --Im looking at purchasing some investment units

Hi -- I'm looking at...

Hi -- I'm looking at purchasing some investment units and I'm building a model to calculate returns. Wanted to be sure I'm not missing anything.

Start with Net Rents

Less:

Property Taxes

Utilities

Maintenance

Interest

You get to EBTD

Less:

Depreciation

Taxes

Net Income

Am I missing anything? Is the interest deductible?

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/27/2013
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Welcome to Just Answers! Thank you for the opportunity to answer your questions! I will do my best to help!

You seem to have the formula down. The net income calculation is correct. The deductions you listed are only a partial list - you are allowed to deduct any expenses incurred in the production of income. So yes, interest is deductible. The taxes that you are listing after the EBDT are normally are income taxes. Real estate taxes are usually listed in the upper portion, where you have them. The depreciation allowed for tax purposes is straight line, usually over 27.5 years for residential property, or 39 years for commercial property.

I hope this answers your question! If you have any more questions, please let me know. If you have found this answer helpful, please rate me highly. I would appreciate it!

Again, thanks! Have a great weekend!
taxmanrog
taxmanrog
taxmanrog